In 2022 the Australian government made two major announcements that will benefit international students and strengthen the pipeline of skilled labour:
- An extension to the period of work rights in Australia, post completion of study, for international students. The objective is to strengthen the pipeline of skilled labour in areas of shortage, therefore applying to eligible qualifications.
Post study work rights for select degrees in areas of verified skill shortages will be increased
- Two years to four years for select Bachelor’s degrees
- Three years to five years for select Masters degrees
- Four years to six years for select PhDs.
- The government also announced the removal of the requirements to nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list and complete a skills assessment for Temporary Graduate visa applications. This applies to applications lodged from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023.
The first announcement is due to commence for students who complete their studies in a particular field on or after 1 July 2023. The second announcement is a positive step in streamlining applications. Our experts are informed on all developments in the ever changing migration laws and processes. Subscribe to our newsletter for insights into the latest Australian migration news.